Sautéed carrots and spicy chipotle chile powder add remarkable flavor to homemade hummus, a colorful tasty dip for raw veggies, chips or pita.
Equipment A food processor fitted with the chopping blade
- 1 pound of carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling on top
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt or more, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Optional Garnishes (choose 1 or more):
- A few sprinkles of paprika
- A few sprinkles of Maras pepper, Aleppo pepper or smoked paprika
- Some chopped parsley leaves
- A handful of cooked chickpeas
- A handful of toasted pine nuts
- Pita, for dipping
- Heat olive oil (2 tablespoons), over medium heat, in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook the carrots, stirring often, for 6- 7 minutes, until slightly softened and starting to brown. Turn the heat down if the carrots are browning too fast. Toss in the garlic and cook, stirring, for another minute or so, to mellow the flavor of the garlic.
- Transfer carrots, garlic and whatever oil is in the pan, to the bowl of a food processor. Add chickpeas, tahini (⅓ cup), lemon juice (4 tablespoons), water (¼ cup), salt (1 ¼ teaspoons) and chipotle chili powder (¼ teaspoon). Puree to a creamy consistency but don't over process. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and whiz for a few seconds to combine. Taste and correct seasoning with additional salt, if you like.
- Serve carrot hummus in a shallow bowl. Run the back of a tablespoon over the hummus, in a circular motion, to smooth it out and then to make some circular grooves to hold streams of olive oil. Drizzle olive oil into the grooves. Add garnishes. Serve with crudités and/or toasted pita (see notes)
How to make easy homemade pita chips: Preheat the oven to Broil. Lay 4 6-inch pitas out on a jellyroll pan. Brush a light layer of olive oil over both sides of each pita. Set the pan in the oven for 3 minutes or so, watching carefully to prevent burning. As soon as the pitas start to brown, remove them from the oven. When cool, slice them into 1 ½-inch strips, using a pizza cutter. Cut strips in half crosswise.
- Prep Time: 7 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Category: Appetizer, Dip
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Fusion
Keywords: carrot hummus, homemade hummus with sautéed carrots