A easy, delicious, lightened up shrimp and corn chowder.
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2 medium potatoes)
- 4 slices bacon (I suggest using a brand that's free of sodium nitrite)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion (1 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely minced garlic (4-5 cloves)
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups low salt chicken broth (I recommend Swanson's)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on how much spice you like)
- 24 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 1 pound)
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn kernels, thawed or 1 1/4 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- Crumbled bacon (from above)
- Boil Potatoes Put the cut potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt into a medium saucepan filled halfway with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, until potatoes are just tender. (They will soften up more in the soup) Drain and set aside.
- Make Chowder While the potatoes are boiling, cook bacon in a large kettle or dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Pour drippings into a heat-proof bowl or mug. Wipe any blackened bits out of the pot. Return 1 tablespoon of drippings to the pot along with 1 tablespoon butter. Add onion and celery. Saute over medium-low heat until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and thyme sprigs and sauté 2 minutes longer. Sprinkle flower into the pot and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add milk, broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 2 minutes. Add salt, black pepper, cayenne, shrimp, corn and cubed potatoes. Simmer until shrimp are just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Discard bay leaf and thyme stalks.
- To Serve Divide soup among 4 bowls. Crumble bacon and sprinkle on top, along with sliced green onions.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Soup
- Method: simmer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lightened up shrimp and corn chowder, chowder with shrimp corn and potatoes