A simple elegant delicious soup made by boiling potatoes and leeks in salted water.
Special Equipment: An immersion blender, blender or food processor to puree the soup
For The Soup
- 2-3 large leeks, white and light green part only, (enough to make 4 cups thinly sliced leeks)
- 4 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes (2 1/4 pounds or so, 3 large or 4 medium potatoes)
- 6 cups water
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For The Frizzled Leeks Topping
- 2 large leeks
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup or more sour cream, for topping
- Make The Soup: Slice the leeks in half lengthwise. Then slice them crosswise into thin slivers until you've got about 4 cups of thinly sliced leeks. Wash them well by swishing them in a bowl of water and then draining them in a mesh strainer, to be sure all the sand and grit is washed away.
- Place cubed potatoes, sliced leeks, 6 cups water and 1 teaspoon of salt in a large heavy soup pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer. Cook, partially covered (to avoid splattering) for 20 minutes or until potatoes and leeks are nice and tender. Puree with an immersion blender or in your food processor. (Don't over process). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the Frizzled Leeks: Line a plate with a paper towel. Cut the leeks crosswise, into 2 1/2 or 3-inch pieces. Then cut each piece lengthwise into thin slivers (see instructional photo in post). Wash and drain the leeks in a mesh strainer to remove any sand or grit.
- Heat oil over medium heat until hot enough to sizzle a sliver of leek. Add leeks and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring from time to time, until they're light golden brown. Be very careful to monitor the heat so they don't burn. Transfer the leeks to the prepared plate to cool. Sprinkle with a pinch or two of salt. You can make them up to a day ahead and keep them at room temp in a tightly sealed container.
- To Serve: Serve the soup hot with salt and pepper on the side. If using the toppings, add a dollop of sour cream, frizzled leeks and fresh cracked pepper to each bowl.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Soup
- Method: simmer
- Cuisine: French