A nutritious satisfying one-pot dinner that's fairly simple to cook.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for sautéing
- 1 1/2 pounds fully-cooked, smoked Linguica sausage - slice one fourth of the sausage into thin rounds - the rest into 1/4-inch dice (Chorizo or Chourico are good substitutes if you can't find Linguica)
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onion (2 medium onions)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (5-6 cloves)
- 4 cups low salt chicken broth (I recommend Swanson's)
- 3 cups water
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, sliced into quarters lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1-inch chunks.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bunch kale, washed, thick center ribs removed, and slivered (I prefer the dark green dinosaur kale but any kale is fine)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Sauté the sausage rounds for 1 minute or two, until they are nicely browned. Transfer to a small plate and set aside. Add diced sausage to the pot and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, until they start to brown a bit. Transfer to small bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pot, along with the chopped garlic and onions. Sauté over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes until onions soften and start to get transparent. (Don't let them brown)
- Add broth, water, potatoes and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a steady simmer and cook for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Using a potato masher, mash half the potatoes right in the pot, so you have a creamy broth with some chunks of potato remaining.
- Add the cooked chopped sausage and the slivered kale. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the kale wilts and the soup is heated through.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top each with a few rounds of cooked sausage. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for a the advice of a professional nutritionist.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Portuguese
Keywords: sausage kale potato soup, Portuguese kale soup,