Savory stuffed peppers with pork, rosemary, garlic and parmesan. This wonderful festive dish can be ready in less than an hour.
- 6 small red bell peppers
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh rosemary, from 3 large sprigs
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 pound of ground pork
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 ounces of freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Slice each pepper in half, through the stem, and carefully cut out the membranes and remove the seeds. Drop them into a big pot of salted boiling water and let them cook for 6-8 minutes, until they are softened a bit. Drain, cut side down in a colander. Arrange, skin side down in a baking dish. You may need two baking dishes, depending on your cookware and the size of the peppers. Sprinkle the insides of each pepper with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large skillet. Sauté onions on medium-low heat until translucent (don't let them brown). Add garlic and rosemary. Cook, stirring, for a minute or so, until fragrant. Add chopped tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes or so, until the tomatoes soften into the sauce. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for a minute or so. Remove from heat. Add the pork, breadcrumbs, a teaspoon of salt and several grinds of pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the pork mixture between the peppers. Brush or drizzle on a little olive oil. Sprinkle 3/4 of the parmesan cheese over the peppers. Bake for 35 minutes, until hot and sizzling.
- Serve hot with remaining parmesan cheese sprinkled on top
This recipe is adapted, just slightly, from A Cook and His Vegetable Patch by Nigel Slater
Nutrition Information: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for a the advice of a professional nutritionist.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Main Dish, Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: stuffed bell peppers with pork, stuffed red peppers