The Mumbai Sandwich (or Bombay Sandwich) is irresistible Indian street food that's easy to cook at home. This beautifully-spiced, healthy vegetarian grilled sandwich with mint chutney, fresh veggies, and cheese, makes a terrific vegetarian lunch or brunch.
For the chutney
- 2 cups mint leaves, loosely packed (or 1 cup mint and 1 cup cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies from a 4-ounce can (I prefer the spicy ones)
- The juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 inch piece of ginger root, peeled and roughly chopped
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For The Sandwich
- 4 slices sourdough bread or other white sandwich bread
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 1/2 an English cucumber, sliced into thin discs
- 6 ripe cocktail tomatoes or two small ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces (or more) grated sharp cheddar or other melting cheese such as Monterey Jack
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Place the chutney ingredients in a blender and pulse until fully combined. I like a roughly-chopped texture, but a puree is fine, too. Transfer chutney to a small bowl.
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl, to make the masala mixture.
- Rub one side of each piece of bread with the cut side of the garlic, lay the bread out on a work surface, garlic side up and spread each piece with a generous layer of chutney.
- Set aside half the bread (the tops of the sandwiches) and, to the bottom pieces add cucumbers in a single layer. Sprinkle with a few pinches of masala spice mix. Repeat with a layer of tomatoes, then spice mix, then cheese, then more spice mix, then the onions and a final sprinkling of spice mix.
- Top with the other slices of bread. Butter the tops if you wish, and grill the sandwiches in a panini maker or in a heavy pan such as a cast iron skillet, with a little butter, flipping once, until the cheese is melted and the bread is crisp and golden brown.
- Serve the sandwiches warm and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: grill or toast
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Vegetarian sandwich with cheese, masala and chutney