Lemony grilled chicken skewers with zucchini, onions and creamy tzatziki sauce.
Adapted from a recipe in Cooking Light Global Kitchen
You will need 7 12-inch skewers or 12 8-inch skewers. If using wooden or bamboo, be sure to soak them in water for at least 1/2 hour.
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for brushing the vegetables
- 5 teaspoons finely minced garlic (6 garlic cloves)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchinis, halved lengthwise and cut into (1/2-inch thick) slices, crosswise
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (see notes below)
For The Tzatziki Dip
- 1 hothouse cucumber (English cucumber), peeled and coarsely grated or finely chopped
- 1 cup Greek yogurt or strained yogurt (see notes below)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely minced (2 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves, optional
- In a large bowl combine the marinade ingredients: lemon juice (6 tablespoons), oregano (1 tablespoon fresh or 1 ½ teaspoon dried), olive oil (2 tablespoons), garlic (5 teaspoons) and salt (1 teaspoon). Add the chicken and toss well, to coat. Leave chicken to marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- To make the Tzatziki, toss the cucumber with 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a mesh colander and let it drain over the sink for 5 minutes or so. Press the cucumber against the colander to squeeze out some of the liquid, and transfer it to a medium bowl. Add yogurt (1 cup), oil (2 tablespoons), garlic (2 cloves crushed), lemon juice (2 tablespoons), and salt (3/4 teaspoon). Mix thoroughly and refrigerate in a closed container until ready to use. Sprinkle with fresh mint right before serving. Can be made a day ahead.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and discard marinade. Thread chicken, onions and zucchini alternately onto each skewer. Brush zucchini and onions lightly with olive oil.
- Heat your grill to medium-high. Add skewers. Cook 4 minutes per side or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve chicken skewers hot, with tzatziki sauce on the side.
How to Cut Onions for Skewers: Here's a video that show's a good technique for cutting onions for kebabs.
To make strained yogurt, put 2 cups plain low fat yogurt in a mesh strainer lined with a coffee filter or a double layer of cheesecloth. Set the strainer over a bowl and let the yogurt drain for 2 hours in the fridge.
Nutrition Information: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for the advice of a professional nutritionist.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 8 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: grilled marinated chicken, zucchini and onions skewers with tzatziki sauce