Famously delicious Korean Bulgogi beef wrapped in little lettuce packages with homemade pickled onions and radishes.
For the Quick Pickled Onions and Radishes:
- 1 bunch radishes, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups distilled white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
To marinate the beef:
- 14-16 ounces beef tenderloin (or substitute ribeye, sirloin or flank), sliced very thinly (1/8 inch or so)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic (2 medium cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
For The Miso Mayonnaise
- ½ cup mayonnaise (I recommend Hellman's)
- 2 tablespoons miso paste (brown rice miso from Whole Foods is my favorite)
- ¼ teaspoon sriracha (hot sauce)
For the Lettuce:
- 2 heads of green leaf lettuce (or substitute Boston or red leaf lettuce)
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced very thinly crosswise.
To Cook the Beef:
- 2 tablespoons high smoke point cooking oil such as light olive oil or canola.
- Make Pickled Onions and Radishes: Bring vinegar (1½ cups), water (½ cup), sugar (2 tablespoons) and salt (1 tablespoon) to a boil in a small sauce pan. Lower heat to a simmer and cook, stirring, just until salt and sugar dissolve. Remove from heat. Put onions and radishes into a medium sized bowl, pour hot vinegar mixture over them and stir. Allow them to cool at room temp for 15 minutes or so. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes and up to 3 days.
- Marinate the Beef In a shallow bowl, combine marinade ingredients. Add the sliced beef and toss to coat. Marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temp or up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- Make the Miso Mayonnaise: Whisk mayonnaise (½ cup), miso (2 tablespoons) and sriracha (¼ teaspoon). Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Prepare the Lettuce Leaves Wash and dry lettuce. Trim The thick pointy end off each leaf and cut or tear the leaf into two or three pieces that are 3-4 inches wide and tall. The lettuce can be prepared a day ahead. See notes.
- Sauté the Beef Heat oil in a large cast iron or non-stick skillet or wok over high heat. Sauté half the beef, stir-frying, for 2-4 minutes, or until the beef is just cooked through. Transfer to a platter and repeat with the remaining beef.
- Assemble the Wraps: Arrange leaves on platters. Add a piece of beef to each leaf. Drape some pickes on top. Add a dollop of miso mayonnaise. Sprinkle with scallions.
How to store lettuce leaves so they'll be fresh and crisp for up to two days: Wash and spin or shake leaves to remove excess water. Lay the damp leaves out, in a single layer, on a long stretch of paper towels. Cover them with another paper towel of equal length. Roll up gently from one end. Tuck the roll into a large plastic bag. Press out the air, seal, and store in the fridge. Unpack leaves and trim to size before serving.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Category: Appetizer or Main Course
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Korean
Keywords: Korean beef, beef lettuce wraps, Korean lettuce wraps appetizer, Bulgogi Beef appetizer