A wonderful, simple, leafy salad with three lettuces, lemon dressing and parmesan cheese. A great side salad with virtually any meal and the perfect salad for an Italian meal.
For the Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced (1/4 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
For the Salad Greens
- 8 cups arugula
- 2-3 heads endive, ends trimmed, cut into 1/4-inch slices crosswise
- 1 large head radicchio, cut in half, triangular core removed, cut into large, (1-inch) dice. (see instructions in the notes below)
- Thin shavings of fresh Parmesan cheese, using your vegetable peeler or 3-4 tablespoons of finely-grated fresh parmesan cheese. (I recommend Parmigiano Reggiano)
- Whisk the lemon juice, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Slowly pour in olive oil while whisking.
- Combine lettuces together in a large bowl. Toss with dressing just before serving. Top with shavings of Parmesan cheese or toss with 3-4 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese.
How to chop radicchio: My favorite way and the easiest way to prepare the radicchio for this salad, is to dice it. After you cut it in half and remove the little triangular core, lay one half cut-side-down on your cutting board. Make 5 or 6 thick slices horizontally across and then turn your radicchio or turn your cutting board and make 5 or 6 slices vertically across. Repeat with the other half.
Nutrition Information: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for the advice of a professional nutritionist.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 0 min
- Category: Salad
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Italian tri colore salad; classic Italian salad; Italian salad; salad of arugula, radicchio and endive