Great looking, delicious tasting potatoes. Crisp on the outside, creamy on the inside. A perfect side dish for a special occasion.
- For The Shallot Chive Butter:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 bar), at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh chives, divided (2 good sized bunches)
- 2 teaspoons finely minced shallots (1 medium shallot)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the Potatoes:
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (white or cider)
- 6 large, oblong shaped russet potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt for finishing (I recommend Malden sea salt)
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425ºF Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make Shallot Chive Butter: Combine the butter, 2 tablespoons of chives, shallots and salt in a shallow bowl or on a cutting board. Use a fork to mix and mash and fold the chives, shallot and salt into the butter, until everything is combined. Transfer half the compound butter to a small saucepan and set aside. (note: You can make the butter ahead and store it, tightly covered, in the fridge, for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 weeks. Bring it to room temperature before using.)
- Peel and slice the potatoes: Fill a large bowl halfway with cold water. Add vinegar. Peel potatoes, scraping a tiny bit extra off the bottom of each potato, with the peeler, to make a flat stable surface, so they don't roll around when you slice them. Place potatoes into the bowl of water, as you peel them, to prevent discoloration.
- Cut The Potato into Hasselbacks Take a potato out of the water and dry it. Lay it, lengthwise, between two wooden-handled spatulas or two chopsticks. The wood on either side of the potato will prevent you from cutting all the way through. (see instructional photos in post) Make slices, about ¼ of an inch apart, along the entire length of the potato. Repeat with remaining potatoes. Place potatoes on baking sheet. Lightly coat each potato with olive oil, using a pastry brush.
- Cook and Baste The Hasselbacks: Bake for 35 minutes. Heat the chive butter in the saucepan just until it melts. Baste the top of each potato with about 1 teaspoon of melted butter, letting it drip into the slits. Bake for another 30-40 minutes longer, or until the potatoes are nicely browned in spots and cooked through.
- To Serve: Serve hot. Just before serving top each potato with a teaspoon or two of compound butter. Season potatoes with sea salt and cracked pepper, to taste. Sprinkle generously with remaining chopped chives.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Swedish
Keywords: baked hasselback potatoes with shallot chive butter