Grilled Zucchini Caprese Salad Stacks
A delicious stacked salad of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and zucchini.
Adapted from a recipe by Cooking Light
- Author: Lisa
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 5 1x
- Category: Appetizer or Lunch
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Italian
- For the Grilled Zucchini:
- 2 large zucchini, each cut diagonally into 8 slices
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- For the Salad
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ripe heirloom tomatoes, each cut into 4 or 5 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 10 slices
- Grilled zucchini slices (from above)
- 25-30 whole fresh basil leaves
- 10 basil leaves, stacked and thinly sliced
- Grill the Zucchini: Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Coat both sides of zucchini with cooking spray or brush lightly with oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper. Arrange on grill; grill 4 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- Make Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk oil, balsamic, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Assemble the Stacks: Drizzle a bit of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper on a platter or on individual plates. Arrange the 5 largest tomato slices on top. Top each tomato with 2 zucchini slices, then another (slightly smaller) tomato slice, then 1 cheese slice. top with another tomato slice, one final cheese slice and a zucchini slice at the top. Gently tuck basil leaves in all around the stacks, between layers. Drizzle balsamic dressing evenly over stacks; sprinkle with the slivered basil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Keywords: Caprese salad with grilled zucchini served in a stackj