Grilled swordfish steaks topped with parsley-lemon-caper sauce. A simple recipe with exceptional flavors.
- 6 swordfish steaks (6-8 ounces per person)
- 1 1/4 cups extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley (an equal amount of fresh basil leaves can be substituted)
- 3 tablespoons small capers, rinsed, drained and finely chopped
- 6 oil-packed anchovy fillets, finely chopped and then mashed using the back of a fork.
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together a marinade of 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of the minced garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Place the swordfish in a non-reactive bowl or a plastic container and toss with the marinade, to coat. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- To make the salsa verde, place the parsley (or basil), capers, anchovies, 1 teaspoon garlic, mustard and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice in a small mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Gradually pour in the remaining 3/4 cup olive oil while whisking. The salsa verde can be made several hours ahead and refrigerated, covered. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Grill the fish for 4 minutes on the first side and 2-6 minutes on side two, depending on the thickness of the steaks. The pink flesh will turn white as the fish cooks. To prevent over-cooking, check the fish after it cooks for 1 minute on the second side and every minute thereafter (make a small cut to check for doneness). When it's mostly cooked through but still slightly pink in the center, it's ready to come off the grill. Transfer it to a platter, tent it with foil, and leave it for 5 minutes to finish cooking in the gentle heat under the foil.
- Serve immediately with the salsa verde spooned on top.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Fish
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Grilled marinated swordfish steaks with salsa verde