Simple, delicious roasted butternut squash cubes tossed with garlicky olive oil and parsley makes a perfect fall and winter side dish.
Adapted from a recipe in Chez Panisse Vegetables
- 1 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled, halved, seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes (8 cups of squash cubes)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper plus more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic (3 medium cloves)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley leaves
Preheat oven to 400ºF/200ºC
- In a large bowl, toss squash cubes with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and several grinds of black pepper. Spread squash out evenly on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Toss and roast for another 10 minutes or so, until squash is lightly browned in spots and cooked through.
- While the squash is roasting, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small non-stick skillet, over low heat. Sauté the garlic for a minute or two, until it's soft and fragrant. Be careful not to let it brown. Put the roasted squash cubes in a large mixing bowl and pour the sautéed garlic and oil over it. Sprinkle parsley on top and toss gently. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: roasted butternut squash cubes with garlic and parsley