Delicious 3-ingredient cheese and potato patties. They make a delicious vegetarian meal served with a fresh salad of tomato, avocado and red onions. Perfect for brunch, lunch or dinner. [gluten-free]
Adapted from a recipe in Cooking Light Global Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons or so of cooking oil such as canola (or for authenticity use annatto oil if you can find it or make it)
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered (4 medium sized potatoes)
- 1 cup of farmer cheese or substitute shredded queso fresco or Monterey Jack cheese
- 6-7 green onions, minced, white and light green parts only, mince the dark parts separately to sprinkle on the finished dish.
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Tomato Onion Avocado Salad
- 1 head butter lettuce, washed and torn (optional)
- 1 1/2 -2 pounds of ripe tomatoes, halved and thinly sliced - I suggest heirloom tomatoes, if you can find them
- 2 ripe avocados, thinly sliced (wait until the last minute to slice the avocados, so they don't turn brown)
- 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes, and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (the juice of 1 lime)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and pressed or finely minced
- Place potatoes and 2 teaspoons of salt in a large pot and fill with water to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash with a potato masher. Set aside until cool.
- Add cheese, green onions, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to potatoes, stirring well to combine. Scoop up about 1/2 cup of the mixture and form it into a patty that's about 3 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Set it on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture. You should get about 10 patties. Cover and refrigerate patties until firm - for at least 1/2 hour. (note: you can make them ahead up to this point and keep them in the fridge overnight, if you like)
- Make the Salad While the potatoes are chilling make the salad. In a small bowl whisk oil, lime juice, garlic, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Place tomatoes, avocado, onion and lettuce (if using) in a bowl. Toss gently with dressing.
- Cook the Patties: Heat a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Cook patties in two batches. Let them to brown on one side for 4-5 minutes, then turn and brown on the other side for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve patties with tomato-avocado salad. Garnish patties and salad with reserved minced green onions.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Breakfast, lunch, brunch, dinner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Ecuadorian
Keywords: Ecuadorian cheese and potato patties, three ingredient potato pancakes