Devils on Horseback is an irresistible party appetizer of pitted prunes stuffed with goat cheese; wrapped in bacon; and served warm from the oven. Delicious finger food that can be assembled ahead of time and cooked at the last minute.
Equipment: A foil-lined rimmed baking sheet or foil pan, 20 toothpicks or bamboo skewers
- Vegetable oil or cooking spray for greasing the foil (Don't use extra virgin olive oil because it will burn in the oven)
- 20 pitted prunes
- 2 ounces of soft fresh goat cheese, chilled (I like to use a log of goat cheese but crumbles will work well, too)
- 10 slices of smoked bacon
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- A handful of parsley sprigs or arugula leaves to line the serving platter, optional
Preheat the oven to 500ºF
- Lightly oil the foil lined pan with a basting brush or with cooking spray. Line a plate with a double layer of paper towels.
- Slice the bacon in half crosswise
- Make a small half-inch slit along one edge of a prune and use your fingers to pull the prune open, just enough so you can slip some goat cheese in. Repeat with the rest of the prunes.
- Use a small spoon or cheese knife to insert about 1/4 teaspoon of goat cheese into each prune and then gently press the prunes back together.
- Place a half slice of bacon on your work surface. Set a stuffed prune at one edge and roll it up. Set it seam-side-down on the oiled baking pan. Repeat with the rest of the prunes and bacon. Brush the rolls with balsamic vinegar. At this point you can refrigerate the bacon rolls until you're ready to cook them. (see notes below)
- Just before serving, cook the devils on horseback for 7-8 minutes. Turn on your stove fan or a kithcen fan before you open the oven, as there will be some smoking oil when you open the oven door. Use tongs to transfer the bacon rolls to the paper towel lined plate, to drain.
- Scatter arugula leaves or parsley sprigs on a serving platter, if you like. Insert a toothpick through the tops of the devils, and set them on the platter. Serve warm.
Want to assemble these ahead of time?
Devils on horseback can be assembled up to 12 hours ahead of time. Cover them with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate them until you're ready to cook them. Pop them in a 500º preheated oven and follow the instructions starting at step #6. You may need to cook them for an additional minute if they're going directly from the fridge to the oven.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Broil
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Bacon wrapped prunes, Goat cheese stuffed prunes wrapped in bacon