Tender poached chicken in a creamy curried mayonnaise with lime juice and mango chutney.
For The Curry Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (I recommend Madras Curry Powder)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I recommend Hellman's)
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney or apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For The Poached Chicken (when you're in a hurry, skip this step and use 5 cups of tender leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken, shredded or cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 small onion, peeled
- 5 whole pepper corns
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- To poach the chicken, place chicken, onion, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaf in a large deep pot and cover with cold water by an inch. Bring to a boil over high heat and immediately turn the heat down to the lowest possible simmer so the water isn't bubbling at all. Cook, uncovered, 10-14 minutes, checking doneness after ten minutes by slicing into the thickest piece to make sure there's no pink color. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred or cut into bite-size cubes. Cool chicken in the fridge, covered, until you're ready to use it.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Sauté onion 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, add curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, until fragrant. Remove from heat and scrape onions and curry into a small bowl. When cool, add the mayonnaise, chutney (or preserves), lime juice and salt and mix well. Curry mayonnaise will keep in the fridge, covered, for 3 days.
- Toss the chicken with the curried mayonnaise and season with salt, if needed. Curried chicken salad will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days.
Learn More About Poached Chicken: If you want to poach chicken thighs, bone-in breasts or even a whole chicken, you'll find all the details in this post on How to Make Perfect Poached Chicken.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Lunch, Brunch
- Method: Poach
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: chicken salad, curried chicken salad, poached chicken with curried mayonnaise