The creamy coconut and sweet potato soup pairs beautifully with zesty spice-crusted shrimp. Delicious and company-worthy. (dairy-free)
For The Spice Mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
For The Soup
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 cups low salt chicken broth broth (I recommend Swanson's)
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 9 cups cubed)
- 1 13 1/2-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk (shake can well before pouring)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
For The Shrimp
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp (18-24) peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 ounces fresh spinach leaves, slivered (stack leaves and slice them thin)
- Mix spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a soup kettle or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add sweet potatoes and broth, bring to a boil and quickly lower the heat a simmer. Simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender or puree the soup in batches using a food processor or blender. Once the soup is pureed and in the pot, add the coconut milk, lime juice, salt and cayenne. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside, covered, while you sauté the shrimp.
- Put shrimp in a mixing bowl, pour the spice on top and toss to coat. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large skillet until hot but not smoking. Cook shrimp for a minutes or two per side over medium-high heat, or until there's a nice brown spice crust on the outside and the shrimp is just cooked through.
- Heat the soup gently, if need be, until it's hot. Ladle soup into shallow bowls. Place 3-4 shrimp in each bowl and add a small pile of shredded spinach to the center of each bowl. Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Vanuatu
Keywords: Sweet potato soup with shrimp, sweet potato soup with coconut milk