Creamy, smoky, healthy, delicious Baba Ganoush - an easy home cooking recipe for this Middle Eastern classic!
- 2 1/2 pounds of eggplant (3 medium or 2 large)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced garlic (2 medium cloves)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, plus a bit more, to taste (1 juicy lemon should do)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or more, to taste
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1-2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- Set the oven to broil. Puncture each eggplant 5 or 6 times with a skewer or a knife. (this prevents them from exploding) Place the eggplants on a heavy rimmed baking sheet and set them near the top of the oven, close to the heating element. Broil the eggplants for 45 minutes to an hour, rotating them one quarter turn every fifteen minutes, until their skins are charred and they are tender to the point of collapsing. Smaller eggplants will be ready in 45 minutes. Larger ones will need an hour. Let them rest for ten minutes or so, until they're cool enough to handle.
- Slice the eggplants in half lengthwise. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon, scraping the skins to get every bit. Place eggplant flesh into a colander and let it sit for 10 minutes or so, to release any excess liquids. Toss it a few times in the strainer to strain out the liquids. Transfer it to a bowl. Add garlic, lemon juice, tahini, ¼ teaspoon salt and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Whisk the ingredients vigorously with a fork for a minute or so, until the mixture gets light and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and lemon juice, if needed.
- Transfer baba ganoush to a serving bowl. Use the back of a spoon in a circular motion to smooth it out and make a few swirls. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of olive oil into the swirls. Sprinkle on some parsley, pine nuts and pomegranate seeds. Serve at room temperature for best flavor.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Appetizer, side dish
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: eggplant, salad, dip, meze