A quick and easy chicken dinner: baked chicken thighs finished in a hot pan with honey soy glaze. Delicious with fluffy white rice.
- For the Chicken:
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (10-12 depending on size)
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- For the Glaze:
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Sides and Garnish:
- Rice to serve alongside, optional
- 6 scallions, trimmed and sliced crosswise, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Spread a tablespoon or two of olive oil over the bottom of a large glass baking pan or jellyroll pan. Lay the chicken thighs out in a single layer in the pan, making sure to unfold them fully. It's fine if the pan is crowded. They'll shrink when they cook. Drizzle or brush another couple of tablespoons of oil over the tops of the chicken, using the back of a spoon or a pastry brush to coat them. Sprinkle the tops of the thighs with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Cook in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes. When done, transfer to a cutting board and slice into bite-sized pieces.
- While the chicken is baking prepare the glaze and cook the rice, if using. Add the honey, soy sauce, water, vinegar and sesame oil to a large skillet and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn down to medium and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until it reduces by about half and gets deep brown.
- Add the ginger and red pepper. Give it a stir. Add the chicken and turn the heat to high. Cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes, until the chicken has a beautiful amber glaze and almost all the sauce is absorbed.
- Serve over rice, if you like, with a generous sprinkle of sliced scallions.
[This post first appeared on Panning The Globe in Nov 2015. It was updated in Sept 2019 with added nutritional information and more clarifying details in the written post.]
Nutrition Information: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for a the advice of a professional nutritionist.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: skillet
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Asian honey soy chicken thighs, skillet chicken, honey soy chicken thighs