Mild yet exquisitely flavored chicken curry. Easy to prepare and both kid-friendly and company worthy.
- 1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt (divided)
- 1/4 cup water
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons mild flavored cooking oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 12 green cardamom pods
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped (about 2 cups chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed in a press or finely minced
- 3 tablespoons grated or finely minced fresh ginger root
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, deveined, and finely minced
- Toasted slivered almonds to garnish
- Chopped cilantro or parsley to garnish, optional
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup yogurt with 1/4 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with 1/2 teaspoon salt and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or large heavy lidded pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods and toast, stirring, until sizzling and fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chopped onions and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, until the onions just start to brown around the edges. Add the chicken pieces and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and has started to brown a bit. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry for two minutes more. Add Jalapeños and yogurt/water/salt mixture. Lower heat and simmer, stirring, for a minute or so. Cover skillet and cook at a very gentle simmer (barely bubbling) for 8 minutes. Turn off the heat and use a fork or tongs to remove bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods.
- Put the remaining 1/2 cup of yogurt into a bowl and add a tablespoon of the hot cooking liquid from the korma pot. Whisk through and repeat with another tablespoon of hot liquid. Now stir the warmed yogurt into the korma and simmer, very gently, for a minute or two, until hot.
- Serve korma with steamed basmati or jasmine rice. Garnish with toasted slivered almonds and chopped cilantro, if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Bangladeshi
Keywords: easy mild boneless chicken curry