A rainbow of spicy roasted potatoes with Za'atar. Delicious as is, or drizzled with lemony tahini sauce.
For The Potatoes:
- 3 pounds of small, firm, potatoes of assorted colors (Yukon golds, purple, red creamers, white creamers, fingerlings...), lightly scrubbed and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 3 tablespoon Za'atar spice, divided
- 2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper (or Maras pepper or mix 1 teaspoon sweet paprika with 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more, to taste
- 1 lemon, washed and cut into very thin (1/8-inch) slices, slices halved.
For The Tahini Sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 3-5 tablespoons water
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled and pressed (through a garlic press)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Garnish (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and a few parsley sprigs, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 425ºF and set the rack in the center position.
- Make Tahini Sauce, if using: In a small bowl, whisk tahini, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons water, garlic and salt. Add more water, as needed, until the sauce is creamy and a good consistency for drizzling.
- Roast The Potatoes; Use a towel to blot and remove moisture from the potatoes. They will brown well if they're nice and dry. Place them in a large bowl with olive oil, 2 tablespoons of za'atar, pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt. Toss to combine thoroughly. Spread potatoes out into a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Cook in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes. Scatter lemon pieces on top of potatoes and continue to roast for 15 - 20 minutes longer or until potatoes are browned and crisp.
- To Serve: Transfer potatoes to a platter or to individual plates. Drizzle with tahini sauce, if using. Or drizzle with good quality extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of za'atar. Garnish with chopped parsley and parsley sprigs, if you like.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: Roast potatoes, Za'atar potatoes, rainbow potatoes