Tender, juicy sautéed shrimp encrusted with flavorful spices and a tangy lime remoulade sauce that's heavenly with these shrimp. Serve as a fantastic party appetizer with the sauce on the side for dipping or as dinner with the sauce drizzled on top.
Adapted from a recipe in Cooking Light
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (low fat or whole milk)
- The zest of one lime (about 1 teaspoon grated lime rind)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon capers, chopped
- A pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 36 large shrimp, peeled and deveined; 21-25/pound, about 1-1/2 pounds
- 4 tablespoons high smoke point oil (see notes)
- Cilantro sprigs and chopped cilantro, optional garnish
Line a large plate with a paper towel
- Whisk the remoulade sauce ingredients in a bowl. this sauce can be made up to 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Pat the shrimp dry and toss with the spices in a large bowl.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add a third of the shrimp and leave them undisturbed for a minute or so, until browned on the bottom. Flip and sauté on the other side for a minute or two, until just cooked through. Transfer to prepared plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Cook remaining shrimp in batches, adding more oil if the pan gets dry.
- To serve as an appetizer, pile the shrimp onto a platter. Decorate around the edges with cilantro sprigs and sprinkle chopped cilantro over the shrimp. Put the remoulade into a small bowl and garnish with a pinch of chopped cilantro. To serve for dinner, divide the warm shrimp among plates and drizzle with remoulade.
Best high smoke point oils for sautéing shrimp: Light or refined olive oil, refined avocado oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, clarified butter, and soybean oil.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Appetizer or Dinner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Spiced pan sautéed shrimp with creamy remoulade sauce