Healthy and delicious is the theme of this easy chopped salad recipe made with rotisserie chicken and fresh veggies, hearty enough for dinner. This is a great salad for meal prep or for using up leftover roasted or steamed veggies or chicken.
For the vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced or squeezed through a garlic press
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the Salad
- 2 cups of 1/2-inch diced cooked chicken
- 5 ounces salad greens such as arugula or baby romaine, chopped or left whole, depending on their size
- 2 avocados, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 large hothouse cucumber or 3 small Persian cucumbers, diced or halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1 pint ripe cherry or cocktail tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on their size
- Canned artichoke hearts
- Jarred roasted red peppers
- Cubed and roasted sweet potatoes or butternut squash
- Dried cranberries or cherries
- Diced apples or pears
- In a small bowl whisk the lemon juice, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Slowly add the olive oil, while whisking constantly. Dressing can be made several hours ahead.
- Combine all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl. If you want a festive presentation, put the salad greens in the bowl first and arrange all the other ingredients in rows on top. When you're ready to serve, pour the dressing on top and toss well.
Nutrition Information: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for the advice of a professional nutritionist.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Hearty dinner salad with chicken and vegetables