An essential technique for making roasted red peppers, either on the grill or in the oven.
- For Roasting The Peppers:
- You will need two paper grocery bags, one inside the other. For oven-roasting you will need a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- 6 large red bell peppers
- For The Marinade:
- 1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 medium garlic clove (or two if you want them extra garlicky)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or fine sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the broiler and set an oven rack near the top of the oven. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Or if using the grill, preheat the grill to high.
- For Oven Roasted Red Peppers: spread the peppers out on the prepared sheet and set them in the oven. Let the skins of the peppers turn black and blister for 20-25 minutes, turning them with tongs every 5 or 6 minutes, until they're 80-85% black.
- For Grill Roasted Red Peppers: Arrange the peppers directly on the hot grill rack. Close the top and let the skins of the peppers turn black and blister, turning them a quarter turn every 5-6 minutes, until the peppers are 80-85% black.
- Transfer the peppers to the paper bag and roll down the top so the peppers can steam. Leave them in the bag for 15-20 minutes.
- Peel off the skin. Pull or cut them in half. Remove the stem and seeds. Use the edge of a knife to scrap off any skin or seeds that are adhering to the peppers.
- Cut or tear the peppers into bite-sized strips.
- For The Marinade: Combine the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Squeeze the garlic in with a garlic press. Whisk the marinade ingredients and pour them over the peppers. Toss to coat. Store the peppers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. Let them come to room temperature before serving.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: How to roast bell peppers in the oven