An easy one-pot recipe for Korean chicken stew with spinach simmered in an addictive sweet and spicy sauce that uses store-bought Gochujang. Serve this with rice for a delicious meal that the whole family will love.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 large bunch of green onions, cut in half crosswise so the bottoms (white and light green part) are separate from the dark green tops. Cut the bottoms into 1/2-inch pieces. Slice the tops thinly.
- 1/3 cup Gochujang (Korean chili sauce)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of minced ginger root (from a 3-inch piece)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 large cloves)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 8-10 ounces of fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 3 cups of cooked rice (white or brown) to serve with the stew
Garnish: 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Put the chicken, green onion bottoms and all the marinade ingredients: Gochujang, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and brown sugar, into a bowl and stir to combine. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1/3 cup water over high heat in a Dutch oven or a heavy pot with a lid. As soon as the water boils, add the chicken and all the marinade ingredients. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Give the stew a stir and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes more, to thicken the sauce.
- While the stew is simmering, get your rice cooking.
- Remove stew from heat and immediately add green onion tops and spinach to the pot. Stir and toss until the spinach has wilted from the heat of the stew.
- Divide the stew among shallow bowls. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with rice.
Nutrition information for this recipe is calculated for the stew only and doesn't include the rice.
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator for websites. We strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but nutrition information can vary based on many factors. If your health and well being is in question we recommend you check with a licensed dietitian or nutritionist.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Korean
Keywords: Korean chicken, spicy Korean Chicken with spinach, chicken with Gochujang sauce and spinach, quick and easy Korean chicken stew