A favorite for Thanksgiving, this Italian sausage stuffing with broccoli rabe, parmesan cheese, hot paprika and garlic is incredible!
- 1 (1 pound) round loaf of home-style country bread or Italian bread, crusts sliced off, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/3 pounds sweet Italian sausage (4 5-ounce sausages), casings removed
- 6 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced (3 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian hot paprika (not smoked)
- 1 large (1 pound) bunch broccoli rabe: Cut off the thick stem. Reserve the leaves, the buds, and about 2 inches of the tender stem beneath the bud.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 small red onions or two large, peeled, halved and sliced into thin wedges (4 1/2 cups sliced onion)
- 2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup turkey or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup good quality parmesan cheese, finely grated (I recommend Parmigiana Reggiano)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter a 10 x 15-inch casserole pan (use olive oil to make this dairy free)
- Spread bread cubes out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, to dry it out. Set bread aside and turn the oven temp up to 425ºF.
- Drop the broccoli rabe into a pot of boiling water and leave it for 30 seconds. It will turn bright green and reduce in bulk. Pour into a colander to drain out the hot water and run cold water over it until it's cool. Spread it out on a cutting board and slice into bite sized pieces.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook the sausages for 3-4 minutes, stirring and breaking into small bite-sized pieces, using the end of a metal spatula, until the meat loses all its pink color and starts to brown. Turn the heat down to medium and add the garlic and hot paprika. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer. Add the broccoli rabe, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Cook, stirring, for another minute. Transfer the whole mixture to a large bowl.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet. Cook onions and celery over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes, until tender and starting to brown. Add vinegar and cook, stirring for another minute, scraping up the browned bits in the pan. Transfer onions to the bowl with the sausage.
- Add bread, eggs, broth, and cheese to the bowl and toss to thoroughly combine. Pour stuffing mixture into prepared baking dish. (If you plan to stuff your turkey, set aside about 5 cups of stuffing and let it cool completely before you stuff your bird. Pour the rest into your prepared baking dish.) Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove foil and cook for 10-15 minutes longer, until the top is nicely browned. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: sausage stuffing with broccoli rabe garlic and parmesan cheese