Healthy Snack Bars with Fruit Nuts and Seeds
Easy homemade fruit and nut snack bars, for healthy snacking or a portable nutritious breakfast.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 16-20 bars
- Category: snack
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: British
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 5 ounces dried cranberries (1 cup)
- 2 ounces of dried apple slices (1 cup lightly packed)
- 2 ounces of dried apricots (about 7 apricots or 1/3 cup)
- 2 1/2 ounces walnuts (3/4 cup)
- 2 ounces pecans (1/2 cup)
- 120 g (4 ounces) ground almonds or almond flour (about a cup of almond flour)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ounce of white sesame seeds (3 tablespoons)
- 1 ounce pine nuts (Scant 1/4 cup)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup raw honey, depending on how much sweetness you like (I use 1/3 cup)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat the oven to 275ºF. Line a small baking pan with parchment paper. Soak the chia seeds in 2 tablespoons of cold water.
- Place the next 6 ingredients – cranberries through almond flour – in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until everything is finely chopped but not powdered. Keep checking until you’re happy with the texture.
- Pour the mixture into a big bowl and stir in the cinnamon, sesame seeds, pine nuts, soaked chia seeds with their liquid/gel, and raw honey. Mix until everything is well combined and sticks together like dough when you squeeze it. It’s best to use your hands for this. If the mixture is too dry, add a bit of water.
- When the mixture is uniform, push it down into the lined baking pan with your fingers, to a depth of about 1/2 inch or so. If it’s sticky, wetting your fingers will help. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until the whole surface looks dried out and starts to turn golden.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool. When completely cool, cut into whatever size bars you like.
Fruit and Nut Snack Bars will last for several days in an air-tight container and up to a week if you store the container in the fridge. To freeze, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or in a plastic freezer bag. They’ll keep for at least a month, in the freezer.
Keywords: healthy, snack, breakfast