A scrumptious rice bowl: A simple 3-ingredient marinade and glaze makes the most addictively delicious grilled chicken and eggplant. Serve over rice, with a quick sauté of cherry tomatoes.
- 2 cups raw brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- 8-10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 7 tablespoons of store-bought Harissa Seasoning, divided
- 2 tablespoons white sugar (or substitute coconut sugar)
- 2 Eggplants (1 1/4 pounds each)
- 5 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges, garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped, optional garnish
- Mint sprigs, optional garnish
- Make The Rice: Get the rice cooking, per package directions. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt to the cooking water. The rice will take 45 minutes to an hour.
- Make The Harissa Paste and Marinate the Chicken: In a large bowl, whisk to combine 3 tablespoons dry harissa seasoning, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons sugar (or coconut sugar) and 1 teaspoon salt. Add chicken thighs to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover the chicken and set it in the fridge to marinate while you prepare the eggplant.
- Make harissa glaze and Prepare the Eggplant: In a small bowl combine 3 tablespoons olive oil, 5 tablespoons apricot preserves, 4 tablespoons harissa seasoning, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cut the eggplant, crosswise, into 1/2-inch rounds. Lay them out on a tray or baking sheet in a single layer. Use a pastry brush to paint the eggplant slices with harissa glaze (top side only), using half the glaze.
- Grill The Chicken and Eggplant: Preheat the grill to medium high. Grill the chicken for about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Slice into strips. Place the eggplant on the grill glazed-side down. Brush the tops with glaze. Grill eggplant for about 4 minutes, until there are grill marks on the bottom sides. Flip and grill for another 3-4 minutes, until tender.
- Sauté the Cherry Tomatoes: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium eat. Add the tomatoes, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoons salt, and cook, tossing occasionally, for 7 minutes, or until the skins just begin to split. Sprinkle generously with fresh ground black pepper.
- Assemble The Bowls: Divide the rice among 6 shallow bowls. Arrange chicken slices, eggplant rounds and cherry tomatoes over the rice. Season, to taste with salt and pepper. Add a wedge of lemon and a sprinkle of fresh mint to each bowl. Garnish with whole mint sprigs, if you like.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Tunisian
Keywords: Grilled chicken and eggplant with harissa seasoning