Boneless chicken and potatoes stewed in tomato sauce with olives and Greek spices.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 thighs)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 pounds of russet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges (3 medium potatoes)
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes with juice, pulsed in a food processor or crushed by hand.
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 18-20 pitted kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- Season chicken with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy lidded pot or dutch oven. Brown the chicken in batches (it browns better if it's not crowded) for about 2 minutes per side and transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for a minute or so, until fragrant. Turn the heat down to medium and pour in the wine (carefully because it will sputter) and deglaze the pot, stirring and scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon.
- Add the chicken back to the pot along with the potatoes, pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, water, cinnamon, cinnamon stick, oregano, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Bring the stew to a boil and quickly turn the heat down low and gently simmer the stew, covered, for 20 minutes. Add the olives and cook, covered, for another 20-25 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Serve the stew hot, in shallow bowls, with fresh chopped parsley sprinkled on top.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Category: Stew
- Method: simmer
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: Greek-style stew with chicken and potatoes in tomato sauce, one-pot chicken and potato stew