A simple rustic tart crust topped with ricotta, fresh cherries and spiced maple-vanilla syrup. Fresh and delicious!
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 clove
- 1 star anise
- 2 inches of vanilla bean (whole or scraped)
- Macerated Cherries
- 2 pounds of fresh cherries, stemmed, pitted and halved
- Spiced maple-vanilla syrup (see instructions below)
- 1 tablespoon good quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of ice cold water
- Egg wash
- 1 egg whisked with 1 tablespoon cream or half and half
- 2 tablespoons coarse Sugar
- Ricotta Topping
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese whisked with 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
- Optional Garnish
- Fresh mint, basil or tarragon leaves
- Make the Syrup Simmer maple syrup, water, clove, star anise and vanilla bean for about 10 minutes until it reduces by about half, into a thick syrup. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes. Spoon 3 tablespoons of syrup over the cherries. (reserve the rest for finishing the tart) Add the balsamic. Stir to coat. Allow cherries to macerate at room temperature for at least an hour and up to 3 hours.
- Make the Tart Crust Put the butter, flour, salt and sugar in the food processor. Pulse several times or until the mixture looks like a bunch of peas and flour. Transfer to a large wide bowl. Sprinkle about 1/3 cup of ice cold water on top, swirling and stirring with a fork as you add the water. Add more water, a tablespoon at a time, if needed, just until the dough comes together in large clumps. Pile it all into a large plastic baggie and press it together into a ball. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes before rolling it out.
- Roll and Bake the Crust: Preheat oven to 400ºF. Remove dough from bag and roll it out between two sheets of parchment or wax paper (makes it easier to transfer to a large baking sheet). Transfer to a large baking sheet. Prick the dough several times with a fork. Brush egg/cream wash over dough and sprinkle with dough with coarse sugar. Bake in the lower third of the oven for 20-25 minutes, until light golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Assemble the Tart: Spread the ricotta evenly over the tart. Strain the cherries and mound them on top of the ricotta. Drizzle the reserved syrup over the cherries. Garnish with mint or basil, if you like. Slice, serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cherry tart