Idaho® Potato-Kale Mash with Sausage
- 5 large Idaho® russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (4 pounds)
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided (plus more for seasoning)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup 2% milk (or whole milk)
- ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper (plus more for seasoning)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1 bunch of curly kale, stemmed and chopped into ½-inch pieces (about 12 ounces)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 pound fully-cooked, smoked pork sausage such as Dutch Rookworst (or substitute Spanish Chorizo or Polish Kielbasa), cut crosswise into thin slices
- 4-5 teaspoons olive oil, optional garnish
- 4 green onions, trimmed and chopped, optional garnish
- Put potatoes and 2 teaspoons salt in a large pot. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Scoop out a cup of potato cooking-water and set aside. Drain potatoes and return them to the pot. Add butter, milk, 2 teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Mash potatoes with a potato-masher. For creamier potatoes add potato cooking-water, a little at a time, stirring, until you get the desired texture.
- In a large heavy skillet or pot with a lid, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-7 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Raise heat to medium. Add kale, ¼ cup water, and ½ teaspoon vinegar. Cover pot and wait 2-3 minutes for the kale to wilt. Remove cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes longer or until the kale is tender. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Add kale mixture to potatoes and mash until thoroughly combined.
- In the same heavy skillet used for the kale, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook the sausages for 4-5 minutes, until nicely browned on both sides and heated through.
- Divide the kale-potato mash between 4 or 5 bowls. Arrange sausages on top. Drizzle on a teaspoon of olive oil per bowl and sprinkle with chopped scallions, if you like. Enjoy!
Time Saving Tip: Start by peeling and slicing the potatoes. Get them into the pot over the heat. It will take a while for that pot to get boiling. You should be able to get everything else sliced and diced while the potatoes cook.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Boil and Sauté
- Cuisine: Dutch
Keywords: kale mashed potatoes with sausages,