Festive Danish pancake balls, plain or stuffed with chocolate, apples or jam. Traditional for Christmas breakfast and dessert.
Equipment: A cast iron aebleskiver pan. A pair of pointed knitting needles or two long bamboo skewers.
- Butter or oil for greasing the pan
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- chocolate chips
- chopped apples, sautéed in a little butter to soften
- Jam or preserves
- Powdered sugar
- In a medium sized bowl mix dry ingredients: flour (2 cups), sugar (2 tablespoons), baking powder (1 teaspoon), baking soda (1/2 teaspoon), salt (1/2 teaspoon), and cardamom if using (1/2 teaspoon). In a separate large bowl whisk buttermilk (2 cups), eggs (2) and vanilla (1 teaspoon). Whisk dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. For fluffiest results, use batter within 10 minutes of mixing.
- Heat up your cast iron Aebleskiver pan over medium-high heat for a couple of minutes. Place 1/4 teaspoon or so of butter or oil into each round. When it bubbles, add enough batter to come up almost to the top of the round. (If using a filling, spoon 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of filling into the center of each round and cover with a bit of batter) When the batter starts to bubble up a bit on the sides, turn the aebleskiver 1/4 of the way around by gently coaxing it with the tip of your needle. It should slide easily. Cook for 20-30 seconds, adjusting the heat if need be, so they don't burn, and make another quarter turn for each aebleskiver. Repeat the turns two more times, until you have a perfect ball that is cooked on all sides. You can test your aebleskivers for doneness by inserting a toothpick - if it comes out clean, they're done. If not, continue to cook, rotating every few seconds, until done.
- Arrange aeblesivers on a platter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm with jam or other toppings on the side. Enjoy!
Make these ahead and freeze them: Aebleskiver pancakes freeze well. Freeze them in an airtight container and reheat them on a baking tray in a 325ºF oven for 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Breakfast or Dessert
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Danish
Keywords: pancake balls, Danish pancake balls, Danish pancakes