Cucumber Raita is a delicious creamy, cooling condiment that's the perfect accompaniment for Indian curries, stews, kebabs or any spicy dish.
- 2 cups plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 hothouse cucumber (Also called English cucumber)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mint leaves (set aside a sprig for garnishing)
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Peel the cucumber, cut it in half lengthwise, use a small spoon to scrape out the seeds, and grate it or finely chop it.
- Spoon the yogurt into a large mixing bowl and add the cucumbers, garlic, cumin and salt. Stir, taste, and season with more salt, if needed. Chill, covered, until ready to eat.
- to serve, spoon raita into a small bowl and top with a sprig of fresh mint
To Toast cumin seeds - Put them in a dry pan over medium heat, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until fragrant and slightly darker in color, about 2 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dip
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Yogurt dip with cucumber, garlic and mint, yogurt herb dip, Indian yogurt condiment