Adapted from a Cooking Light recipe.
A quick curried chicken soup recipe, packed with flavor and enough chicken, spinach and rice noodles to make a whole meal.
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts (or 2 1/2 cups of shredded poached chicken or leftover cooked chicken)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces fresh spinach leaves (6 cups)
- 6 ounces of wide rice noodles (I use A Taste of Thai)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced shallots (1 large shallot)
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (I use Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste)
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (I use Madras Curry Powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I used white but brown is ok too)
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 small hot red chiles, seeded and chopped (or substitute 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper)
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Cook and Shred Chicken: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spread chicken out in a roasting pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes. Shred or cut into bite sized pieces. If you prefer, you can poach the chicken.
- Wilt the Spinach and Cook the Noodles: While the chicken is roasting you can get everything else ready. Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add spinach, boil it for 30 seconds and transfer it to a bowl using a slotted spoon. Add the rice noodles to the pot, cook them for 3 minutes, drain them and add them to the bowl with the spinach.
- Make the Soup: Heat canola oil (1 tablespoon) over medium-high heat in a large heavy pot. Add shallots, curry paste (2 tablespoons), garlic (heaping tablespoon), curry powder (1 1/2 teaspoons), turmeric (1/2 teaspoon) and coriander (1/2 teaspoon). Cook, stirring constantly, for a minute. Add chicken broth (6 cups) and bring to a boil. Add coconut milk and turn the heat to low. Simmer the soup for 5 minutes. Add shredded chicken, green onions, sugar (2 tablespoons) and fish sauce (2 tablespoons). Simmer for 2 minutes. Add spinach, noodles, cilantro and chilies. Stir to combine and cook for a minute or so, to heat through.
- To Serve: Serve in bowls with a lime wedge on the side.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Soup
- Method: simmer
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Thai chicken soup, Coconut curry chicken soup, Thai chicken noodle soup