Brazil's famously delicious chicken salad is great for lunch, brunch, picnics or any occasion. It's an easy recipe and you can do all the prep work ahead. Double or triple it if you're expecting a crowd.
For The Dressing:
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise (I recommend Hellman's) or use vegenaise for a tasty mayo low in saturated fat.
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon mild honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- several grinds of black pepper, to taste
For The Chicken Salad:
- 3 cups of cubed or shredded chicken breast (about 1 1/2 pounds) Here's how to make perfect poached chicken for this salad)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed or fresh peas cooked for two minutes in boiling water, drained and cooled under cold running water
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed or fresh corn kernels cooked for two minutes in boiling water, drained and cooled under cold running water
- 1 large carrot cut into 1/3-inch dice (3/4 cup diced carrot), boiled for 3 minutes, drained, and cooled under cold running water
- 1/2 cup raisins (any kind you like)
- 12-14 Spanish pimiento-stuffed olives
- 6 green onions, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients. Cover and keep in the fridge while you make the rest of the salad. Can be made up to a day ahead. Store, covered, in the fridge.
- In a large bowl combine all the salad ingredients: chicken, peas, corn, carrots, raisins, olives, and green onions. Pour dressing in (you may not need all of it) and toss. Taste and correct the seasoning with additional salt and pepper, if you like. Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Ahead of Time Prep: You can chop and blanch all the veggies and combine them in a bowl with the chicken, up to a day ahead. Store, covered tightly in the fridge. Toss with dressing before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 3 mins
- Category: Chicken Salad
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: Brazilian
Keywords: chicken salad with honey lime dressing,