A refreshing summer dinner salad with cabbage, spinach, cucumbers and mint, grilled chicken, and a wonderful sesame-ginger dressing.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into halves
- 12 Shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil or other vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Asian sesame oil
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar (unseasoned is preferable)
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Napa cabbage, trimmed, bruised outer leaves removed, sliced
- 5 ounces spinach, leaves stacked and slivered
- 1 hothouse cucumber, sliced into rounds
- 1 cup loosely-packed mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 12 scallions, ends trimmed off, thinly sliced
- 1 cup roasted, salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Make the dressing In a medium bowl whisk vinegar, mustard, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic, and lemon juice. Slowly add oils, while whisking constantly, to emulsify. Dressing can be stored in the fridge for 4 days.
- Chicken and mushrooms Put chicken and mushrooms in a large glass baking dish. Pour 1/2 cup dressing over and turn to coat. Cover and allow to marinate for at least 1/2 hour and up to 3 hours. Heat grill to medium high. Sprinkle chicken and mushrooms with salt and pepper, to taste. Grill chicken for 5-6 minutes per side, until cooked through. Grill mushrooms for about 2 minutes per side. Slice chicken crosswise. Slice mushroom into thirds.
- Salad Put cabbage, spinach, cucumber, mint and scallions in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup dressing and toss to coat. Transfer to a platter, if you like. Add sliced chicken and mushrooms on top. Drizzle some dressing over the chicken and mushrooms. Sprinkle the salad with chopped peanuts. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Asian