There's a magical mix of flavors in these BBQ chicken enchiladas, something about mixing sweet and spicy BBQ sauce with onions, cilantro, tomatoes and melted cheese. This is one of my recipe treasures because it's easy, kid friendly and also makes grown-ups happy. Freezer-friendly too!
It's Election Day and even more than usual I'm happy to escape into my kitchen. While the future of our country is being decided, I'm debating about whether to call these enchiladas or burritos? Does it matter? Will someone be offended if I use the wrong name for them? I've already cast my vote (for president) and I'm happy for the distraction.
HOW TO MAKE BBQ CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
Start by searing fresh boneless chicken breasts in a skillet for 7-8 minutes per side. Or, if you're pressed for time, buy a rotisserie chicken.
Shred the chicken breasts using two forks and pulling in opposite directions.
Mix the shredded chicken with your favorite BBQ sauce. Make a quick salsa of chopped tomato, onions and cilantro. Set up a work station with a stack of tortillas and all of your fillings: chicken, salsa, and shredded cheese.
Now it's easy to assemble the enchiladas. My 14 year old son is an expert, as you can see below.
Arrange the stuffed BBQ chicken enchiladas in a baking pan. At this point you can freeze them, if you like, in an airtight container. They can be defrosted in the microwave or oven. My kids love heating one up in the microwave as an after-school snack. If not freezing, pop them in the oven for 12-15 minutes and enjoy!
I wish you a happy election day, and while you are anxiously waiting to learn the outcome, to help calm your jitters, I recommend cooking and enjoying something delicious and comforting.
Here's the recipe for BBQ Chicken Enchiladas. If you try this recipe I hope you'll come back to leave a comment and a rating. I'd love to know what you think.Print
BBQ Chicken Enchiladas
A winning mix of a few simple ingredients makes these BBQ Chicken Enchiladas a favorite easy weeknight dinner.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 5-6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup BBQ sauce, your favorite, something sweet & spicy is best
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (About 3 medium)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 medium-sized onion)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (about half a bunch)
- 12 (9-inch) flour tortillas
- 12 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- chopped scallions
- chopped cilantro
- extra bbq sauce
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- Cook the Chicken Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken breasts and cook, undisturbed for 7 minutes on one side. Turn and cook on the other side about 7-8 minutes more (until chicken is no longer pink when you cut into the thickest part). Remove from heat. Using two forks and pulling in opposite directions, shred chicken. Put shredded chicken into a bowl, toss it with the BBQ sauce and set aside.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the chopped tomatoes, onion and cilantro in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Assembling the Enchiladas Set up your work area with the tortillas to your left and three bowls of enchilada fillings; the chicken, the tomato mixture, and the cheese next. Have a rectangular glass baking dish to your right, near the toothpicks. Use tongs to put some chicken in the center of a tortilla (about ½ cup), put a heaping spoonful of the tomato mixture on top of the chicken. Then sprinkle on the cheese (about 3 tablespoons). Make an envelope for the filling by folding over the sides first and then rolling up and securing with a toothpick. Place rolls in a large glass baking dish. (10-12 enchiladas depending on how you stuff them)
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until the cheese melts. Serve with cilantro or chopped scallions sprinkled on top, if you like.
Keywords: Chicken burritos, easy bbq chicken burritos, easy chicken enchiladas